The question of when Rutherglen and Cambuslang left Glasgow has been raised many times since their expulsion in 1996. Both cities had been part of the Glasgow area since 1975. The Farie family, who had a long association with Rutherglen, acquired it and opened a coal mine there in 1805. The Macdonald school was built with the help of a 500 pound sterling endowment from Lieutenant Colonel Macdonald for the education of Protestant children in the city and parish of Rutherglen. The area borders Burnside and includes several hillside streets with views of the Burgh of Rutherglen and Glasgow. The Burgh area of Rutherglen includes the former heart of the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen and its surrounding area. Rutherglen, an independent constituency of the Scottish Parliament since the late 16th century, was a parliamentary borough represented in the Parliament of the United Kingdom as a component of the Glasgow Burghs constituency from 1708 to 1832 and as a component of Kilmarnock Burghs from 1832 to 1918. A small, prosperous town within the Rutherglen border, focusing primarily on Stonelaw Road and Burnside Road, is located in this area. Rutherglen Burgh has its own railway station (opened in 1884), while Croftfoot and Burnside stations are closer to the southern parts of the city.
In 1697, Robert Hamilton, brother of Preston's landowner, led a corps of 80 riders to Glasgow with the intention of publicly proclaiming their Presbyterian doctrine there; however, they realized that this city was occupied by a strong garrison of royalist troops and instead went to Rutherglen. Studies conducted after the completion of a project showed that pollution levels on Rutherglen's densely populated main street were still dangerously high, despite forecasts that traffic levels on urban streets in areas connected by the highway would decrease. In the 17th century, Rutherglen was best known for its large horse fairs, which took place on its wide main street. The town council of Rutherglen established a fire committee in 1892 due to concerns about fires in factories and houses that were becoming increasingly congested. In addition to men's amateur teams (such as Rutherglen AFC of the Scottish Amateur Football League), there was also a women's football club called Rutherglen Ladies which formed in 1921 and played at a high level during the 1920s and 30s. The Clydesdale horse breed, which is renowned for its excellent qualities, was generally displayed in greater numbers and with greater perfection at the Rutherglen fairs than in any other market.
Seven horse and livestock fairs are held on Rutherglen's main street every year, usually attracting large crowds of buyers and sellers from all over Scotland.