Having existed as a Lanarkshire hamlet in its own right for more than 800 years, Rutherglen lost its own local council in 1975 and became an administrative part of the Glasgow city district within the Strathclyde region (together with neighboring Cambuslang). RUTHERGLEN, parish, hamlet and market town, in the lower district of Lanark County, 2½ miles (S). By E. By S.
This place is supposed to be named after Reutherus, King of Scotland, the fifth to descend from Fergus I. The city is pleasantly located on the Clyde, over which there is a five-arched stone bridge that connects with the suburbs of Glasgow on the opposite bank. The current church, built in 1794, is in good condition and adapted for a congregation of 800 people. There is a simple chapel that also contains 800 rooms, to which until recently an ecclesiastical district called West Church was annexed.
In the city there is also a free church and a relief church. Burnhill, in the west of the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen, borders the city of Glasgow (Toryglen and Hangingshaw). The region is home to the Rutherglen branch of the South Lanarkshire Council youth club, Universal Connections, and also the new Clyde Gateway stadium for the Rutherglen football club, Glencairn. Rutherglen Burgh has Rutherglen railway station (opened in 1884), and Croftfoot and Burnside stations are closer to the southern parts of the city.
Rutherglen railway station connects to Rutherglen's main street and there are also numerous bus connections to central Glasgow. Rutherglen's leading role in Lanarkshire in the late Middle Ages is shown in the Blaeu Atlas of Scotland (165). Also shown are Castlemilk House, Shawfield and Farme Castle. Rutherglen Castle was in what is now the heart of Rutherglen, where Castle Street meets King Street and is close to the most recent Town Hall.
Rutherglen was a parliamentary borough represented in the Parliament of the United Kingdom as part of the Glasgow Burghs constituency from 1708 to 1832 and as a component of Kilmarnock Burghs from 1832 to 1918.This area has modern and attractive developments and maintains the green theme of Glasgow and Rutherglen, with gardens everywhere. Rutherglen Glencairn recently moved to a new stadium (The Clyde Gateway Stadium) located in the Burnhill area of Rutherglen, after the demolition of the old land (Southcroft Park). Scottish rugby internationals Duncan Weir and British and Irish lion Richie Gray were also born in Rutherglen and attended school there, as was Richie's brother and Glasgow warrior Jonny Gray. A small, prosperous town within the Rutherglen border, focusing primarily on the areas of Stonelaw Road and Burnside Road.
In addition to men's amateur teams (such as Rutherglen AFC of the Scottish Amateur Football League), the city also had a women's football club, the Rutherglen Ladies, which formed in 1921 and played at a high level during the 1920s and 30s. In 1775, Rutherglen gained his own bridge over the River Clyde, designed and built by James Watt, a man best known for his later work with steam engines. Located just behind the Burgh area, Clincarthill rises above Rutherglen and offers views of the Royal Burgh. To anyone traveling on the south side of Glasgow, Rutherglen may seem like little more than a name on the road signs and a glimpse of the town hall tower.
Rutherglen, a city that now forms a southeastern suburb of the Greater Glasgow conurbation, is located south of the River Clyde, 2 miles (3 km) south of Glasgow city center and 3 miles (5 km) northwest of Cambuslang.