In the 14th century, Walter Stewart, father of King Robert II, was granted Farme Castle. It was located near Farme Cross, in the north of Rutherglen, and remained standing until the 1960s. The local newspaper is Rutherglen Reformer (owned by Reach plc, with online content presented under the slogan Daily Record). The local community radio station is CamGlen Radio.
Old Rutherglen Parish Church (190) Rutherglen's only surviving cinema building, the Vogue Rutherglen Library and Post Office Building (190) Located just south of Burnhill, Newfield is a neighborhood that also borders Bankhead (Rutherglen) and Toryglen and King's Park (Glasgow). The border with the city is difficult to observe from the ground floor, since it involves houses that face each other to the border in most places; however, it is an important administrative division, it is clearly marked on maps, and street names also change, for example. There are limited services, including a pub, and small grassy areas spread between the houses. In the 17th century, Rutherglen was best known for its large horse fairs, which took place on the wide main street.
Stonelaw Woods is located on the town's northern edge and takes its name from the old Stonelaw Tower (a castle shape) that was once near Burnside and the Stonelaw area of Rutherglen. During the 19th century, Rutherglen went from being a town of weavers and miners to a more industrialized area, with its own shipyard, established by Thomas Bollen Seath in 1856.In addition to men's amateur teams (such as Rutherglen AFC of the Scottish Amateur Football League), the city also had a women's football club, the Rutherglen Ladies, which was formed in 1921 and played at a high level during the 1920s and 30s. Located just behind the Burgh area, Clincarthill rises above Rutherglen and offers views of the Royal Burgh. Some years after the completion of the project, studies show that pollution levels on Rutherglen's densely populated main street were still being measured steadily at dangerously high levels, despite forecasts that traffic levels on urban streets in areas connected by the highway would decrease.
The issue has been raised several times since Rutherglen and Cambuslang were expelled from Glasgow in 1996 and became part of the South Lanarkshire Council. Most of Rutherglen's bars are located on the north side of the main street and west, as a legacy of the Temperance Act (Scotland) of 1913, when the south side of the street and other parts were declared “dry areas” after local referendums on the subject. A new social club was also built for Rutherglen Glencairn and is located on Glasgow Road, close to the site of the old stadium. A small, prosperous town within the Rutherglen border, focusing primarily on the areas of Stonelaw Road and Burnside Road.
Rutherglen Town Hall is now a prime location for artistic and cultural activities, exhibitions, conferences, banquets and weddings. Craig Patrick, the artist who contributed to the design of the Comic Sans font, was born in Rutherglen and Stan Laurel also lived in Rutherglen, where he attended Rutherglen Academy. Rutherglen railway station connects to Rutherglen's main street, and there are also numerous bus connections to Glasgow city centre. It gives access to Overtoun Park, has some views of Broomieknowe Street and includes Rutherglen Cemetery.
The highway, largely built on supports, now crosses the landscape a little north of downtown Rutherglen and, in doing so, passes over part of Rutherglen railway station. Rutherglen would not have achieved this on its own, and this is an example of how peripheral areas can benefit. .