Of course not all times at Rutherglen Academy were pleasant ones. It would be kidding
ourselves to suggest otherwise.
Recently a classmate recalled how, during late 1969, several pupils - us included
- were smitten by a nasty vomiting bug, probably an early incarnation of the infamous
NOROVIRUS we hear a lot about today.
Yet, despite what was widely known then about regular hand washing as a principle
means of infection control, not once, in any of the boys’ toilets or on any of the
public wash hand basins available to pupils at Rutherglen Academy, did I see soap.
So perhaps it’s unsurprising that such a large number took ill that term. For example
- I was confined to my bed for five days and off school for ten. Whewf!